Eagle Ford - update until 2016-02
05 / 22 / 2016
This presentation contains the latest oil production data from 10547 horizontal wells in the Eagle Ford, until February, supplied by the Texas RRC.
A few observations/comments:
- Well productivity in the Eagle Ford seems to have increased in the 2nd half of 2015, as we’ve seen in the Bakken as well. But don’t read too much yet in the 2nd data point of the 2015 vintage in the well quality tab, as that only contains the data for 1 month (the wells that started in January).
- I found it striking to see how closely the production profiles in the Eagle Ford seem to follow an exponential decline; you can see this most clearly in the “Well quality” tab, by switching to logarithmic mode. This shows that the average Eagle Ford well is on a path to about 20 bo/d by year 5.
- Not all data is reported yet for recent months. This is visible in the “Well status” tab, as the total number of wells in February is dropping compared with January. This is not due to survival bias, as I correct for that by adding 0 production for shut-in wells.
- I estimate that the total production in February shown here may still be revised upwards by around 10% (and less so for earlier months). I’ll try to improve this estimate in the future.
- Sometimes it happens that a well is bought by another operator. For these cases I now added a distinction between the operator that produced a well for a certain month in the past (“actual operator”), and the operator that, according to the latest information, owns the well (“current operator”). In the total production overview, I show the production according to the “actual operator”, while on the “well quality” tab, I show the production based on the operator that now owns the well (“current operator”). In the past I used the “actual operator” for both views.
- Not shown here, but from the data I can see that the total Gas to Oil ratio for these wells is 2.0 in 2016 so far.
Wells in gas leases are excluded, and thus also condensate production, although I will attempt to include these in the next update.
I will have a post on Montana on Friday, followed by a post on the Permian during the weekend.
The above presentation has many interactive features:
- You can click through the blocks on the top to see the slides.
- Each slide has filters that can be set, e.g. to select individual or groups of operators. You can first click “all” to deselect all items. You have to click the “apply” button at the bottom to enforce the changes. After that, click anywhere on the presentation.
- Tooltips are shown by just hovering the mouse over parts of the presentation.
- You can move the map around, and zoom in/out.
- By clicking on the legend you can highlight selected items, and include or exclude categories.
- Note that filters have to be set for each tab separately.
- The operator who currently owns the well is designated by “operator (current)”. The operator who operated a well in a past month is designated by “operator (actual)”. This distinction is useful when the ownership of a well changed over time.
- If you have any questions on how to use the interactivity, or how to analyze specific questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.