Marcellus (PA) - update through August 2017
10 / 27 / 2017
This interactive presentation contains the latest gas (and a little oil) production data from all 7913 horizontal wells in Pennsylvania since 2010, through August.
Total gas production from these wells made a small drop in August, but is still above 14 Bcf/d, and higher than a year ago. In August 86 new wells were completed, the highest number since almost 2 years (the average in 2017 has been ~60 / month).
In the “Well quality” tab the production profiles are shown, averaged by the year in which production started. The thickness of the curve indicates the number of wells in a group.
In the “Top operators” overview, you’ll notice that Cabot has overtaken Chesapeake again as the leading operator, as the latter has not grown production in this region in the past 4 years.
The ‘Advanced Insights’ presentation is displayed below:
This “Ultimate Return” overview shows the relationship between gas production rates, and cumulative gas production, averaged for all horizontal wells that started production in a certain quarter.
As wells are fracked with record amounts of proppant, since Q4 2016 new wells peak again at higher rates. On average, these new wells are quite a bit behind those in the Haynesville (LA) though, which you may see in my post on that basin last week, although their decline is also slower (closer to harmonic, instead of exponential).
In the second half of next week, I will have a post on the Eagle Ford, followed by the Permian. As I now have access to pending production data as well, I’ll be able to show far more complete production data for Texas.
Production data is subject to revisions. For this presentation, I used data gathered from the following sources:
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
The above presentations have many interactive features:
- You can click through the blocks on the top to see the slides.
- Each slide has filters that can be set, e.g. to select individual or groups of operators. You can first click “all” to deselect all items. You have to click the “apply” button at the bottom to enforce the changes. After that, click anywhere on the presentation.
- Tooltips are shown by just hovering the mouse over parts of the presentation.
- You can move the map around, and zoom in/out.
- By clicking on the legend you can highlight selected items.
- Note that filters have to be set for each tab separately.
- The operator who currently owns the well is designated by “operator (current)”. The operator who operated a well in a past month is designated by “operator (actual)”. This distinction is useful when the ownership of a well changed over time.
- If you have any questions on how to use the interactivity, or how to analyze specific questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.