Marcellus (PA) - update through October 2017
01 / 16 / 2018
This interactive presentation contains the latest gas (and a little oil) production data from all 8,063 horizontal wells in Pennsylvania since 2010, through October 2017.
Preliminary data has October 2017 gas production in Pennsylvania marginally lower for the year, at just above 14 Bcf/d.
Wells that started production in 2017 peaked substantially higher than wells from earlier years, as is visualized in the 3rd tab (“Well quality”): 9.9 MMcf/d vs 7.4 MMcf/d in 2016.
Drilling activity has markedly increased since early 2016, as can be seen in the “Well status” tab, especially if you select only the status ‘1. Spud’.
The top chart in the “Top operators” overview tells us that the 2 leading producers, Cabot and Chesapeake, have merely maintained production in the previous 3 years, while the number 3 and 4 (Range Resources and EQT) are catching up.
The ‘Advanced Insights’ presentation is displayed below:
This “Ultimate Return” overview shows the relationship between gas production rates, and cumulative gas production, averaged for all horizontal wells that started production in a certain year.
On the 5th tab (‘Productivity over time’) the average cumulative production in the first 2 years is shown over time. If you reduce the measured period to e.g. 12 months, the significant gains in initial production in the recent 2 years becomes visible. Longer laterals and far larger well stimulations are important factors behind this.
Early next week I will have a new post on North Dakota.
Production data is subject to revisions. For this presentation, I used data gathered from the following sources:
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
The above presentations have many interactive features:
- You can click through the blocks on the top to see the slides.
- Each slide has filters that can be set, e.g. to select individual or groups of operators. You can first click “all” to deselect all items. You have to click the “apply” button at the bottom to enforce the changes. After that, click anywhere on the presentation.
- Tooltips are shown by just hovering the mouse over parts of the presentation.
- You can move the map around, and zoom in/out.
- By clicking on the legend you can highlight selected items.
- Note that filters have to be set for each tab separately.
- The operator who currently owns the well is designated by “operator (current)”. The operator who operated a well in a past month is designated by “operator (actual)”. This distinction is useful when the ownership of a well changed over time.
- If you have any questions on how to use the interactivity, or how to analyze specific questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.