Marcellus (PA) - update through December 2017
03 / 09 / 2018
This interactive presentation contains the latest gas (and a little oil) production data from all 8,220 horizontal wells in Pennsylvania since 2010, through December 2017.
After adding more than 1 Bcf/d in November, December gas production grew by another 0.5 Bcf/d to almost 16 Bcf/d in Pennsylvania (only counting unconventional horizontal wells since 2010). As a reader commented last time, production was probably supported in Q4 by additional pipeline capacity becoming available.
As is shown in the ‘Well quality’ tab, average initial well productivity made a major jump upwards in 2017 (actually since Q4 2016), and has been holding at that level steady since.
Chesapeake and Range Resources showed the largest increases in production in Q4 (see ‘Top operators’).
The ‘Advanced Insights’ presentation is displayed below:
This “Ultimate Return” overview shows the relationship between gas production rates, and cumulative gas production, averaged for all horizontal wells that started producing in a certain quarter.
The cumulative production of all individual wells is visualized in the 2nd tab (‘Cumulative production ranking’). Ten wells have now each produced more than 15 Bcf.
In the ‘Well status’ map you can find how all these wells are scattered over Pennsylvania, with the northeast and southwest corners making up the lion share. You can use the Operator filter to see this map for individual operators, and tooltips are available to give more information about a certain area.
Next week I will posts on the Permian and the Eagle Ford, followed by a post on North Dakota.
Production data is subject to revisions. For this presentation, I used data gathered from the following sources:
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
The above presentations have many interactive features:
- You can click through the blocks on the top to see the slides.
- Each slide has filters that can be set, e.g. to select individual or groups of operators. You can first click “all” to deselect all items. You have to click the “apply” button at the bottom to enforce the changes. After that, click anywhere on the presentation.
- Tooltips are shown by just hovering the mouse over parts of the presentation.
- You can move the map around, and zoom in/out.
- By clicking on the legend you can highlight selected items.
- Note that filters have to be set for each tab separately.
- The operator who currently owns the well is designated by “operator (current)”. The operator who operated a well in a past month is designated by “operator (actual)”. This distinction is useful when the ownership of a well changed over time.
- If you have any questions on how to use the interactivity, or how to analyze specific questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.