Eagle Ford - update through December 2017
04 / 06 / 2018
This interactive presentation contains the latest oil & gas production data from 20,246 horizontal wells in the Eagle Ford region (TRRC districts 1-4), that started producing since 2010, through December 2017.
With more wells completed than in the previous year (~1640 vs ~1500), oil production showed a modest year-on-year gain in December. Also for this basin I made some improvements in the data processing, and now a more complete picture is given for the last couple of months (although I still expect upward revisions, esp. for December).
Gas production is also up, to almost 6 Bcf/d (change ‘Product’ to ‘gas’ to see this).
In the last tab (‘Top operators’), the production from the leading operators is shown. The top 2, EOG & Chesapeake, are almost back to their previous production highs.
The ‘Advanced Insights’ presentation is displayed below:
In this “Ultimate Recovery” overview the relationship between production rates, and cumulative production is revealed. Wells are grouped by the year in which production started.
This overview shows the averages over the whole basin; how much oil or gas is produced can vary wildly by area. For example, if you select only ‘Karnes’ (using the ‘county’ selection), you’ll see that average oil production is significantly higher. Note however that this will also give some indication that long-term well productivity is falling, as the 2015-16 vintages are tracking a lower recovery than the 2012-14 ones!
Next week I will have a post on all 10 covered states in the US, and another one on a projection of the oil & gas output from all these horizontal wells several years into the future.
You can follow me here on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShaleProfile
Production data is subject to revisions, especially for the last few months.
For this presentation, I used data gathered from the following sources:
- Texas RRC. Production data is provided on lease level. Individual well production data is estimated from a range of data sources, including regular well tests, and pending data reports.
The above presentations have many interactive features:
- You can click through the blocks on the top to see the slides.
- Each slide has filters that can be set, e.g. to select individual or groups of operators. You can first click “all” to deselect all items. You have to click the “apply” button at the bottom to enforce the changes. After that, click anywhere on the presentation.
- Tooltips are shown by just hovering the mouse over parts of the presentation.
- You can move the map around, and zoom in/out.
- By clicking on the legend you can highlight the related data.
- Note that filters have to be set for each tab separately.
- The operator who currently owns the well is designated by “operator (current)”. The operator who operated a well in a past month is designated by “operator (actual)”. This distinction is useful when the ownership of a well changed over time.
- If you have any questions on how to use the interactivity, or how to analyze specific questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.