North Dakota – update through May 2019
07 / 22 / 2019
These interactive presentations contain the latest oil & gas production data from all 14,814 horizontal wells in North Dakota that started production from 2005 onward, through May.
Oil production in North Dakota was flat for the 2nd consecutive month, at 1.39 million bo/d, just below the record high in January (1.40 million bo/d). In May, 111 horizontal wells came online, 2 more than a year earlier.
The “Top operators” dashboard provides an overview of the production history of the 5 leading operators. Continental Resources is far in the lead with close to 200,000 bo/d. Marathon has just taken the 2nd spot from Whiting.
The ‘Advanced Insights’ presentation is displayed below:
This “Ultimate recovery” overview shows how all these horizontal wells are heading towards their ultimate recovery, with wells grouped by the year in which production started.
It reveals that the 1,238 wells that began production last year had the best start so far; they recovered on average 105 thousand barrels of oil in the first 6 months on production and they were still producing 570 bo/d at that time.
The wells that started a year earlier (2017), have now on average reached the 200,000 bbl mark. They will likely recover another 100,000 bbl, before their average production rate has dropped to 40 bo/d.
We are these days in the beautiful city of Denver, at the URTeC. If you are in the area, visit us at booth #951 for a chat and a demo!
Early next week we will have a post on gas production in Pennsylvania, which also released May production data recently, followed by updates on the Permian and the Eagle Ford. The latest data from these basins is already available in our subscription services.
For these presentations, I used data gathered from the following sources:
- DMR of North Dakota. These presentations only show the production from horizontal wells; a small amount (about 40 kbo/d) is produced from conventional vertical wells.
The above presentations have many interactive features:
- You can click through the blocks on the top to see the slides.
- Each slide has filters that can be set, e.g. to select individual or groups of operators. You can first click “all” to deselect all items. You have to click the “apply” button at the bottom to enforce the changes. After that, click anywhere on the presentation.
- Tooltips are shown by just hovering the mouse over parts of the presentation.
- You can move the map around, and zoom in/out.
- By clicking on the legend you can highlight selected items.
- Note that filters have to be set for each tab separately.
- The operator who currently owns the well is designated by “operator (current)”. The operator who operated a well in a past month is designated by “operator (actual)”. This distinction is useful when the ownership of a well changed over time.
- If you have any questions on how to use the interactivity, or how to analyze specific questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.